Wednesday, January 5, 2011

An Answer to Prayer

So, it's a New Year, and almost time for me to get a new companion.  Last night we got the shot calls (that's what they call the calls that you get when you are finding out who's getting transferred, and what’s going to be happening in the mission).  My new Companion is going to be Elder Lopez.  I met him at the Christmas party, and he was saying that he wanted to come to my area to be my follow-up trainer, and to finish his mission in this area.  Earlier in his mission he served here for 7 cycles, and now he'll be returning probably for his final two. 
New Years was all right, but the best part happened at about 3 o'clock New Year’s Eve.  In my mission we had to be back at the apartment by 6 o'clock on New Year’s Eve, because of the potential of drunk drivers on the road.  So we were at Wal-Mart looking for a board game or something that we could pass the time with after 6 (we didn't find anything).  But, when we were leaving we ran into a less active member who the English elders knew, so we stopped and spoke with him for a little while. 
But first off I need to go back a few weeks.  I got a letter, I can’t remember who from, but I think it was from Kendall, in which he gave me a little advice, and one bit of which I have really focused on.  He was talking about finding people, and about being led to those people that are ready to listen to you at this time.  In the letter he was talking about how us missionaries standout in a crowd, and how it’s great to pray to be lead to people, but it's more likely that people will approach you, and that I should pray for those people to have the courage to approach us, so that's what I started doing in all my prayers.
Well, while we were talking to this inactive member, who was the greeter at Wal-Mart, a Lady walks up to the English Elders and starts asking when we can come to her house.  Although she speaks really good English, she has a definite Spanish Accent, so he asked whether she'd prefer to be taught in Spanish or English.  And she said Spanish, so Elder Jairl pointed to myself and Elder Maldonado and told her that we were the Spanish missionaries, and she could make an appointment with us.  The fact that she could be taught in Spanish seemed to pique her interest.  So we got her information, and told her we'd call her on Friday, because she works all week, and only has weekends off.  So I'm really excited to get to go meet her on Saturday, hopefully with my New Companion. 
It's such a great testimony builder to have these kinds of experiences.  I know that God answers our prayers, in many different ways.  I feel so privileged to be here in New York serving our Heavenly Father, and the people in this part of the world.   I know the church is true, and that this is where I am supposed to be at this time in my life. 
Les Quiero Mucho, Elder Dilling
P.S. Here are some pictures I took when we were in Manhattan.

Me (Elder Dilling) in front of the "HUGE" Christmas Tree at the Rockefeller Center
  
I assume this sign is for the taxis
 

 















St. Patrick's Cathedral (amazing architecture)
Rockefeller Center Tower

No comments:

Post a Comment